- Sign In Centre
1300 228 123
4 Cyber Security Pillars11 Dec, 2018
Hacking into your laptop webcam. Exposing your corporate network and confidential files. Encrypting all your data and demanding a ransom. Converting your web server into a crypto-miner.
It sounds like science-fiction, right?
Believe it or not – this is the reality for modern businesses. It’s more important than ever to secure your data and network infrastructure from any cyber threats that could potentially cripple your business.
This is why Bendigo Telco practices security by design. This means that every piece of hardware, every server, and every endpoint on a network must conform to policies and procedures that protect crucial data. Our Cyber Security Pillars govern our security by design approach and ensure best practice in security and threat detection standards.
- The biggest risk to your business is your employees. Without the proper training and the ability to recognize a security breach, your business is at a large risk. Delivering awareness training is the first step to ensuring a secure cyber future.
- Establishing clear roles and responsibilities for cyber security activities is essential in the event of a data breach. Ensure your business has responsibility allocated from board and executive levels to ensure accountability.
- Practice makes perfect! Practicing a well-defined risk management process will ensure a practical and tested incident response is ready in the event of a crisis.
- Ensuring that there is a business continuity plan is tested regularly will allow your business to perfect your disaster recovery plan.
- Audit your data. Ensure that all company assets including data, have been accounted for and an 'owner' is allocated and is responsible for the security of that data.
- Look to implement and gain an understanding of establishing a cyber security function aligned to business needs.
- Ensure your cyber security has visibility at senior management and board level. Your executive management team will want to know all about the latest threats to their business.
- Ensure cyber security compliance requirements, regulatory standards and expectations have been defined and well understood by all business units.
- Implement a 'defence in depth' architecture to minimise reliance on single security solutions.
- Subscribing to cyber security threat intelligence to understand current attack trends will give you a better idea of the attacks to look out for.
- Implementing strong detection and monitoring controls to recognise and effectively respond to attacks.
- Define clear metrics for measuring cyber security activities and establish accountability for security metrics for all business units.
- Partnering with service providers who maintain up-to-date expertise. Let your partners do the hard work for you. Bendigo Telco has the experts on staff to help you mitigate risk.